Things to Make at Home to Save Money
Scratch more off your shopping list when you switch to homemade, from scratch recipes and see all the things you can make at home to save money, and self reliant!
My goals for the new year are to live more sustainably and save money on the homestead. You’re here because you want to save money on your grocery bill too.
Since starting our homestead four years ago my buying habits have changed. I first noticed how little groceries I needed in the summer when our garden was abundant, the hens were laying and we processed our first batch of chickens.
From then on, I became addicted to changing my buying habits. We’ve never had a large disposable income, and when I went on maternity leave I had to really change my spending habits.
As we become more self-sufficient and substituting homemade and homegrown products more often our grocery bill has rapidly decreased. Along with changing our habits and writing our meal plan we’ve really cut down on our spending.
Before you read on, you’re probably thinking, “I don’t have time to make 76 things at home!” Like anything, it’s a journey! But with a few time management hacks you’ll easily be able to find 1-2 more hours a week to be more productive. Trust me!
Here’s a list of things we’ve been cutting from our shopping list and the things I absolutely refuse to buy in the new year. The freedom and money that will come from this is going to feel liberating, I can’t wait to start.
76 THINGS TO MAKE AT HOME TO SAVE MONEY
FROM SCRATCH FOODS TO MAKE AT HOME
MAKE SURE TO JUST CLICK ON THE WORD FOR A HOMEMADE RECIPE OPTION!
- HOMEMADE BREAD RECIPE: I just started making my own bread and I’m shocked how easy it is. I put my dough in the dehydrator on the rising setting and the dough rises beautifully.
- HOW TO MAKE PIE CRUST: Homemade Pie Crust is amazing! The recipe I use calls for butter making the pastry dense yet flaky, in my eyes, it’s perfect. Use this pie crust recipe for 2 double pie crusts. I like to use one for desert after a roast meal, then fill the second pie shell with the fixings for a perfect pot pie!
- HOMEMADE COOKIES: These are my go to homemade cookies, I also like to stick with this collection of old fashioned homemade cookies that are perfect for any occasion. Cookies are a great treat for the sweet tooth.
- HOMEMADE PIZZA RECIPE: I’ll never buy take out pizza again, homemade pizza is amazing and it’s way cheaper than take out or frozen pizzas. This is the pizza dough we’ve been making and loving lately. The kids love making their own and the dough stays fresh in the fridge for a week making it a great snack or meal on hand.
- SOUP STOCK:Beef, chicken and fish. I love throwing in bones in the InstaPot after a large family meal and making a good soup stock for the freezer.
- HOMEMADE BAKING MIX
- PIE CRUST OR OTHER PASTRIES: Are you kidding, I never bought crusts from the store before after growing up on my moms tasty pie pastry. Grab the recipe here and say goodbye to crunchy frozen pie crusts.
- SPICE MIXES: Taco, pumpin pie spice etc. With the array of spices in the cupboard I should be able to recreate any of the prepackaged spice mixes that are loaded with MSG and salt.
- HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE SYRUP
- HOMEMADE OATMEAL PACKAGES
- HOMEMADE PIE FILLING
- STRAWBERRY JAM
- HOMEMADE RELISH
- TARTAR SAUCE: BY MIXING IN SOME FRESH HOMEMADE MAYONAISE WITH ANY OF OUR RELISHES WE HAVE A PERFECTLY EASY TARTAR SAUCE FOR FRESH FRIED FISH
- APPLE BUTTER
- BARBEQUE SAUCE
- APPLE SAUCE
- CRANBERRY SAUCE
- MAPLE SYRUP
- APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: Don’t skip this step when processing your apples this year! Quickly learn just how easy it is to make apple cider vinegar from apple peels, cores and scraps with this step by step tutorial.
What’s no fresh in season is preserved to use in recipes through our the cold months
- HOMEMADE EGGNOG
- HANDMADE HAND SANITIZER
Learn how to make your own homemade Hand Sanitizer with this quick and easy handmade hand sanitizer recipe using alcohol, essential oils and aloe vera all ingredients you should have around the house!
These are just some of the things you can make at home to save money on groceries and your shopping bill. What are some of the things that you make at home already that save you a ton of money on your shopping bill? I can't wait to hear, go ahead and comment below!
Happy saving- Diana