Quick and Tasty Vegetarian Freezer Meal Ideas
I like to stock up the freezer before the back to school season begins so that I have lots of easy dump and go meals for that time when it is super busy here in the fall.
This is why, today, I am sharing three great recipes for vegetarian freezer meals you can easily make for your family. I am making double of each, which makes for six vegetarian freezer dump meals. Let’s get started!
I believe you will find most of the ingredients for these meals in your pantry.
You will need cream of celery soup, cream-style corn, diced tomatoes, black eyed peas, black beans, sweet potatoes, whole kernel corn, Walmart seasoning blend with onions, celery, red pepper, green peppers, parsley flakes, Southern Style O’Brien hash browns with onions and peppers, and chopped onions.
I am taking help from the freezer section, but you could also chop your own vegetables if you have the time.
1. Black bean sweet potato chili
This chili is one of the best vegetarian crockpot freezer meals you can make. Usually I make chili with meat and pinto beans or kidney beans, but this is a great vegetarian option.
For two meals, you are going to need four cans of black beans, two cans of diced tomatoes (you could use fire roasted or Rotel, or just plain regular diced tomatoes), four sweet potatoes, and the seasoning blend, or alternatively chopped onions and red and green peppers.
1. Get your freezer bags ready. I use cheap baggie holders, which is very convenient. If not, just use a pitcher. I am making two meals, therefore I have two bags ready. Label the bags with the date and the name of the meal.
2. Wash, peel and dice the sweet potatoes. Put them into the bags.
3. Drain and rinse the black beans. Add them in.
4. Put half the seasoning blend in each bag.
5. Add a can of diced tomatoes into each bag.
6. Add the spices: in each bag, you need a tablespoon of chili powder, a teaspoon of cumin, a teaspoon of garlic powder, a teaspoon of smoked paprika, a teaspoon of oregano, and a teaspoon of salt.
7. Get all the air out and close the bags.
8. On the day of cooking, put this in a crock pot with three cups of vegetable broth and cook on low for seven to eight hours or on high for four to five.
2. Cajun black eyed pea soup
You are going to need black eyed peas, diced tomatoes (fire roasted would work best), frozen corn, and the seasoning blend or chopped bell peppers, onion, and celery.
1. Get your bags ready, like last time.
2. Start by adding half the seasoning blend in each bag.
3. Add half a bag of frozen corn in each bag.
4. Drain and rinse two cans of black eyed peas and divide them between the bags.
5. Add a can of diced tomatoes to each bag.
6. Season each bag with a teaspoon of garlic powder, a teaspoon of smoked paprika and two teaspoons of your favorite Cajun seasoning.
7. Get all the air out and close the bags.
8. On the day of cooking, add three cups of vegetable broth. Put this in your slow cooker for seven to eight hours on low or four to five hours on high. This would be delicious with some cornbread.
3. Corn and potato chowder
I just made this one up myself. You are going to need some whole kernel corn, hash browns (they come with the bell peppers and onions), cream of celery, and some cream style corn. This is going to make a lot of soup, and it is very hearty, which makes for the absolute best vegetarian freezer meal for the winter.
1. Prepare the bags.
2. Add one bag of hash browns into each bag. If you want to cut down on cost, you could just do half a bag.
3. Add half a bag of frozen corn.
4. To each bag, add two cans of cream style corn and a can of cream of celery. If you don't like cream of celery, you could use whatever cream of soup that you want, such as cream of potato.
5. Get the air out and close the bags.
6. On the day of cooking, season with salt and pepper to taste, add three cups of vegetable broth, put this in a crock pot and let it cook on low for seven to eight hours or on high for four to five hours.
7. Mash the potatoes up with a potato masher.
Vegetarian freezer meals
There we go, six easy vegetarian freezer meals from three recipes ready to go, all super delicious. I hope you will make them at home, and if you do, do not forget to come back and share how it went!
Which meal did you like best? Do you have any other vegetarian freezer meal prep ideas? Let me know in the comments!