The Best Time-tested Microwave Hacks.
This post contains editorial samples and/or affiliate links to products I recommend. While this adds no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission on any sales made.
So you use your microwave to re-heat those leftovers or even whip up a quick bite,
but hey, these simple but incredibly practical hacks will have you itching to explore more potential quick-fixes!
The best time-tested Microwave hacks.
1. Peel tomatoes in a jiffy!
Place tomatoes in a glass bowl/plate, and microwave for 30 seconds. Take the bowl/plate out of the microwave and allow the tomatoes to cool before easily peeling the skins off. (This is also an easy way to make tomato puree. Once the peel is removed, run the tomatoes in a blender, to make your puree.)
2. Peel garlic without any struggles.
I’m not a fan of peeling garlic cloves and hence cheat by purchasing frozen peeled garlic cloves from the grocery store. Now if you do use a lot of garlic in your cooking, try microwaving garlic cloves for 15 seconds and then peel the skin off. Easy, right?
3. Slice those onions, minus the tears!
Now, this is a big one! Tear-free onion slicing is always a reason to celebrate!!
Trim off either end of an onion and place the onion in the microwave for 30 seconds, then peel the skin and slice. Big difference, right?
4. Steam veggies and season with salt ‘n’ pepper, for an easy side dish.
Steam broccoli heads, carrot rings and corn kernels, in a glass bowl with 3 tbsp of water. Cover the bowl with a glass lid and microwave for 3-4 minutes. (If the veggies are tender enough after 3 minutes, stop there.) Once you remove this from the microwave, season with salt, freshly ground pepper and a dash of lime.
5. Craving a sweet treat? Microwave a batch of brownies!
If time is of the essence (wink!), try George Duran’s quick microwave brownies recipe.
More cool hacks?
6. Soften old bread slices, donuts, bagels, and scones by wrapping each baked slice/piece in a dampened paper towel. Microwave this in the oven for 15 seconds and enjoy your revived snack.
7. Sore muscles? Pop a cup of lentils into a clean sock and tie the end tight to ensure you have no runaway lentils. Heat your lentil filled sock in the microwave for 3 minutes and then place on the sore areas, for relief.
8. Need an easy way to clean those caked food and grease residues from the insides of your microwave? Slice a lemon in half and place it in a bowl of water. Microwave this for 5 minutes. Carefully remove the bowl, when done, and wipe down the interiors with a dry paper towel.
I hope these hacks make your time in the kitchen, a little less stressful.